Hello and happy Tuesday.
On Monday, San Francisco Giants left-handed pitcher Jake McGee was named National League Reliever of the Month. Also on Monday I learned that there’s a National League Reliever of the Month award.
Congrats to Jake McGee on taking home National League Reliever of the Month honors for July pic.twitter.com/qalXA5BzqH— SFGiants (@SFGiants) August 2, 2021
McGee was spectacular in July, pitching 11 scoreless innings in 11 games, while allowing just 5 hits and 1 walk and striking out 9.
The award has only been around since 2017, and McGee is the first Giant to win it, which means the Giants are only trailing the Milwaukee Brewers by seven NL Reliever of the Month awards.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Let’s say nice things about the Giants (Aug. 18, 2016 — Grant Brisbee)
- Grant Brisbee lists 6 reasons why the Giants made a trade for Tony Watson (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Melissa Lockard’s prospect notebook includes draft signings and San Jose’s hot season (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Rusty Simmons on how the Giants and A’s are seeing a big decline in spin rate, but not the results you would anticipate (SF Chronicle)
- Kerry Crowley explains the Giants biggest trade deadline gamble (Mercury News)
- Ben Clemens loves the Kris Bryant trade, but lists the Giants as a trade deadline loser due to how much better the Dodgers got (Fangraphs)
- John Shea on how Kris Bryant became a big Barry Bonds fan (SF Chronicle)
- Alex Pavlovic on what the Giants plan to do to capitalize on Kris Bryant’s positional versatility (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Evan Webeck on how Kris Bryant is interested in staying with the Giants long term (Mercury News)
- Jake Montero has Scott Harris’ explanation for not acquiring a starting pitcher at the trade deadline (KNBR)
What time do the Giants play today?
The Giants play the Arizona Diamondbacks tonight at 6:40 p.m. PT.
Have a lovely Tuesday, all of you.