Hello and happy Wednesday.
A few days ago, the San Francisco Giants designated right-handed pitcher Jimmie Sherfy for assignment. Knowing the Giants, they certainly hoped he would slip through waivers so that they could re-assign him. This organization sure loves their MLB-caliber bullpen depth.
He almost did slip through waivers. Almost. Sherfy made it through 13 of the 14 NL teams, before finally being snagged by ... yep ... the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Now, this is both good and bad news. It’s bad news because Sherfy is now guaranteed to come into a game where the Giants have the bases loaded with no outs and the go ahead run on base and induce a triple play. But it’s good news because, if you’re looking for reasons to believe that the Giants are as competitive as their record indicates, the Dodgers making room on their roster for a player that the Giants decided not to is a nice start.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
A history of San Francisco Giants pitchers in the All-Star Game (July 14, 2015 — Doug Bruzzone)
- Roger Munter reviews Week 10 in the Minor Leagues, as well as the Giants first 10 draft picks (There R Giants)
- Melissa Lockard on the Giants Day 3 draft picks (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Andrew Baggarly talks with Buster Posey about his bounce-back season, and his future with the Giants (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Kerry Crowley on what the Giants draft approach means for the farm, and future trades (Mercury News)
- Rusty Simmons on what the Giants could get in return if they trade some of their top prospects (SF Chronicle)
- Alex Pavlovic on how Brandon Crawford used adjustments at the plate to return to All-Star status (NBC Sports Bay Area)
What time do the Giants play today?
The Giants have an off day. It would be pretty bizarre if they played today.
Have a great Wednesday, all.