Hello and happy Wednesday.
Sometime last week, Andrew Baggarly of The Athletic reported that the San Francisco Giants might call up left-handed pitcher Sammy Long sooner rather than later. The same Long who was out of baseball in 2018 and 2020. The same long whom the Giants signed to a Minor League contract for this year. The same Long who, prior to the start of the Minor League season last month, had never even appeared in a single game above A ball.
The Giants made it official on Tuesday, when Gabe Kapler said the team would be calling him up for Wednesday’s finale against the Texas Rangers.
Long started to get penciled in as the Wednesday starter, but that’s not how it’s going to go. Instead, right-handed reliever Zack Littell will get the start in a bullpen game, with Long presumably getting a chunk of innings in relief.
Zack Littell is starting for the Giants tomorrow, with Sammy (as per his preference) Long likely providing bulk innings in what would be a MLB debut.— Andrew Baggarly (@extrabaggs) June 9, 2021
It makes sense, as Long has not yet been stretched out to a full pitch count, and likely would only have pitched three or four innings even if he started. And while it would have been an exciting story to see him start, well ... it will still be an exciting story.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Giants drop series to bad team, feel bad (July 27, 2016 — Grant Brisbee)
- Roger Munter wraps up the week in the Minor Leauges (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee on how starting pitching has become the story of the Giants farm system this year (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Bruce Jenkins on how Mike Krukow and the Giants are rallying around Duane Kuiper (SF Chronicle)
- Kerry Crowley on Duane Kuiper (Mercury News)
- Steve Berman on Duane Kuiper’s health, and what it means for Giants broadcasts (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Kerry Crowley on the respect that Brandon Crawford has from his teammates (Mercury News)
- Rusty Simmons on how Marco Luciano is showing why he’s a top prospect (SF Chronicle)
What time do the Giants play today?
The Giants play the Texas Rangers this morning at 11:05 a.m. PT.
Have a great Wednesday.