Hello and happy Saturday.
On Friday, the San Francisco Giants released some injury updates. Most notable was the news that Brandon Belt was headed to the 10-day Injured List, with the team admitting that he’ll be there for more than 10 days, and acknowledging a fear that he may require surgery on his knee.
But they also offered updates on two other key infielders: Tommy La Stella and Evan Longoria.
The La Stella news was not good, though not horrible either. The lefty infielder had started his rehab assignment earlier in the week, and figured to have time to get up to speed before July 2, which was the earliest day that he could be activated. But he unfortunately jammed his thumb, and so he’s been sidelined again.
La Stella jammed his throwing thumb yesterday, which was why he was scratched from a rehab start. X-rays were negative, and Kapler said no long-term concerns.— Mark W. Sanchez (@MarkWSanchez) June 25, 2021
In other injury news, Evan Longoria has started baseball activities, Aaron Sanchez pitched on Friday night for AAA Sacramento, and Logan Webb could begin his rehab assignment next week.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Remembering Barry Bonds against the Padres (April 26, 2013 — Grant Brisbee)
- Podcast: Roger Munter talks with prospect Will Wilson, and Eugene Emeralds manager Dennis Pelfrey (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee on the history of the Giants and A’s playing each other while both are powerhouses (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Jake Mailhot on how Anthony DeSclafani has discovered the best version of himself (Fangraphs)
- John Shea on how this weekend’s series will show off the depth of both the Giants and A’s (SF Chronicle)
- Kerry Crowley on how Kevin Gausman deserves more attention (Mercury News)
- Mark W. Sanchez on how the Giants haven’t forgotten about Jaylin Davis (KNBR)
- Alex Pavlovic on how large crowds are likely to flock to Oracle Park now that it’s fully open (NBC Sports Bay Area)
What time do the Giants play today?
The Giants play the Oakland A’s tonight at 7:05 p.m. PT.
Have a wonderful Saturday, friends. Happy weekend.