Hello and happy Friday.
But down on the farm there was some bad news.
In the AA Richmond Flying Squirrels game, right-handed starting pitching prospect Sean Hjelle was pulled due to an apparent leg injury. He had to be helped off the field.
RHP Sean Hjelle pulled from his start tonight after suffering an apparent leg injury. Hjelle had to be helped off. Happened after throwing a pitch early in the first inning. pic.twitter.com/qS51DhBpPI— GPT (@giantsprospects) June 17, 2021
Hjelle, a 6’11”, 2018 second-round pick, had been having a decent season for Richmond, with a 3.51 ERA, a 4.06 FIP, and 11.3 strikeouts to 2.4 walks per nine innings. Back when it was assumed that the Giants would not be very competitive this year, many predicted Hjelle to make his MLB debut this season.
Here’s hoping it’s just a minor injury, and he can be back on the mound soon.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
15 years ago, Barry Bonds hit a walk-off home run on his birthday (June 24, 2018 — Bryan Murphy)
- Podcast: Roger Munter talks with Giants Director of International Scouting Joe Salermo (There R Giants)
- Kerry Crowley selects 10 memorable moments to commemorate 10 years of service time for Brandon Crawford (Mercury News)
- John Shea on how the Giants will consider using the opener again, despite mixed results (SF Chronicle)
- Alex Pavlovic on how the Giants are on pace to threaten the franchise’s home run record (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Jake Montero on Mike Krukow sharing a positive health update on Duane Kuiper (KNBR)
What time do the Giants play today?
The Giants play the Philadelphia Phillies tonight at 6:45 p.m. PT.
Have a great Friday, everyone.