Hello and happy Wednesday.
The San Francisco Giants are rolling right along, and reinforcements are right around the corner. Specifically, right-handed slugger Darin Ruf is right around the corner, and could return to the team at the end of the weekend.
Gabe Kapler said there was some optimism Darin Ruf may return Thursday or Friday of this week, but he may need a few extra days as he's still working through his running progression.— Kerry Crowley (@KO_Crowley) June 15, 2021
As the tweet suggests, that’s not as soon as the organization had initially hoped, but in the grand scheme of things it’s still pretty soon.
With the Giants cooking, it’s easy to forget just how strong of a season Ruf was having. In 100 plate appearances before suffering an injury, Ruf hit .244/.370/.512 with 6 home runs. He’ll make a nice addition to the roster, especially against left-handed pitchers now that Evan Longoria is sidelined.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
No, seriously, Randy Johnson was on the Giants (Jan. 7, 2015 — Grant Brisbee)
- Roger Munter reviews the week in the Minor Leagues (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee on how the spin rate data suggests that the Giants won’t take a big hit from the foreign substance crackdown (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Susan Slusser on how the Giants talked to their players about the foreign substance penalties (SF Chronicle)
- Kerry Crowley on the difficult roster decisions that are looming for the Giants (Mercury News)
- Mark W. Sanchez on how great Conner Menez has been, and how it makes it hard for the Giants to option him (KNBR)
- Alex Pavlovic on how this is the best version yet of Brandon Crawford (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Kerry Crowley on if there’s a blueprint to beat the Giants hitters (Mercury News)
What time do the Giants play today?
The Giants play the Diamondbacks tonight at 6:45 p.m. PT.
Have a stellar Wednesday, all of you.