Hello and happy Friday.
Thursday was the 90th birthday of the great Willie Mays, and news broke on Deadline that HBO is working on a documentary about the Say Hey Kid. Mays told the publication that “Some say that throughout my life I have inspired others, but the truth is that so many have done this for me. My teammates, my friends, and of course the fans mean so much to me. And so I hope this documentary can give back to all of them something enjoyable and inspiring in return.”
Put this one in the “must-see TV” bin.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
A brief history of Kyle Blanks, large baseball player (March 7, 2016 — Grant Brisbee)
- Podcast: Roger Munter talks with Conner Penfold, the Media and Baseball Operations Coordinator for the Sacramento River Cats about the Alternate Site scrimmages (There R Giants)
- Podcast: Grant Brisbee and Andrew Baggarly discuss the missed opportunity in Colorado (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Susan Slusser on how Jake McGee is built for the ups and downs of closing (SF Chronicle)
- Kerry Crowley on how the Giants bullpen issues need to be addressed immediately (Mercury News)
- Brian Murphy lists 24 reasons why Willie Mays rules (KNBR)
- Alex Pavlovic on Duane Kuiper’s explanation as to why walk-off losses are harder to get over than they used to be (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Kerry Crowley on how Willie Mays’ numbers match up with current stars (Mercury News)
What time do the Giants play today?
The Giants play the Padres tonight at 6:45 p.m.
Hope you all have a lovely Friday.