Hello and happy Tuesday. There are two baseball games today, so buckle up and load the beer fridge.
The San Francisco Giants will not be at full strength for those two games, it would seem, as infielder Tommy La Stella appears bound for the Injured List. La Stella strained his hamstring during the Giants win over the San Diego Padres on Sunday, and while the team is still evaluating the lefty, they’re transparent about what the next step likely is.
The Giants are still in the process of evaluating Tommy La Stella's MRI scan, but Gabe Kapler said he expects La Stella to land on the IL.— Maria I. Guardado (@mi_guardado) May 3, 2021
Assuming La Stella does head to the IL — where he’ll join fellow second baseman Donovan Solano — the Giants will be able to call up two players on Tuesday: one to replace La Stella, and one to serve as the bonus player due to the doubleheader. Both players must come from the taxi squad, which consists of infielders Thairo Estrada and Jason Vosler, catcher Joey Bart, left-handed pitcher Conner Menez, and right-handed pitcher Kervin Castro.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Polyanna (June 7, 2007 — Grant Brisbee)
- Roger Munter gets you ready for Opening Night in the Minors (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee on how Tyler Rogers is getting more outs and more usage than any other reliever in baseball (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Melissa Lockard previews the upcoming Giants Minor League seasons (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Kerry Crowley on Tuesday’s doubleheader challenges (Mercury News)
- Ron Kroichick on Willie Mays and Jack Nicklaus (SF Chronicle)
- Alex Pavlovic on why the Giants are happy that today’s doubleheader games are only 7 innings (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Mark W. Sanchez on how playing often is helping Mike Tauchman regain his form (KNBR)
- Kerry Crowley on the two factors that are a threat to the Giants lead in the NL West (Mercury News)
What time do the Giants play today?
The Giants play a doubleheader today against the Colorado Rockies, starting at 2:40 p.m. PT.
Hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday. Enjoy the double baseball.