The Giants released two injury updates on Friday, and one is good. Unfortunately, the other is bad.
The good is that Wilmer Flores is progressing nicely, and is likely to be activated today.
Trainer Dave Groeschner is watching Wilmer Flores run the bases right now. If Flores comes through OK, he could be activated tomorrow.— Mark W. Sanchez (@MarkWSanchez) May 29, 2021
The bad is that Darin Ruf, who exited Wednesday’s game against the Arizona Diamondbacks, has a Grade 2 hamstring strain. He won’t be able to return for about a month.
Gabe Kapler said Darin Ruf has a Grade 2 hamstring strain, out 3-4 weeks.— Alex Pavlovic (@PavlovicNBCS) May 28, 2021
Ruf has been one of the Giants best hitters this year, so that’s a pretty big hit, especially if Brandon Belt is out for an extended absence. But Flores returning could potentially help an offense that hasn’t been too exciting lately.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Name every catcher the Giants have used since 2000 (Sept. 11, 2015 — Grant Brisbee)
- Grant Brisbee on how it was harder to find perspective after Thursday’s fourth straight loss to the Dodgers (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Susan Slusser on the timeline for Darin Ruf’s injury (SF Chronicle)
- Kerry Crowley on why the Giants returning to full capacity reminds us what we missed about previous seasons (Mercury News)
- Alex Pavlovic on Farhan Zaidi’s assessment of the team after 50 games (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Mark W. Sanchez on the ‘surreal’ experience for Jake McGee and Alex Wood when they received their 2020 World Series rings (KNBR)
What time do the Giants play today?
The Giants play the Dodgers today at 4:15 p.m. PT.
Have a great Saturday, friends.