Hello and happy Tuesday.
We’re rapidly approaching the 2021 MLB Draft, which will be the third in Farhan Zaidi’s tenure as president of baseball operations for the San Francisco Giants, and the second in Scott Harris’ tenure as the team’s general manager.
The draft will take place in mid-July this year, and the Giants will have the No. 14 pick — one spot below where they were slotted a year ago, when they selected North Carolina State catcher Patrick Bailey.
There will be many mock drafts flying in the coming months, but let’s hit two of them now: one from Baseball America, and one from Kiley McDaniel of ESPN+.
The former took the intel approach, giving the Giants a player that the team has reportedly scouted “heavily:” right-handed pitcher (and shortstop) Bubba Chandler of North Oconee High School (Georgia). There could be some signability issues there, as Chandler has already committed to Clemson, not only for baseball but for football, as a quarterback. And quarterback at Clemson is one of the more desired amateur sports positions out there.
BA has the Giants with RHP/SS/SHH Bubba Chandler (18.6Y, 6’3” 200). Giants scouting Chandler “pretty heavily.” Teams prefer as RHP. 91-94 t97 FB, plus CB, athletic. Smooth at SS, some power. Clemson commit as QB and for baseball.https://t.co/HrFCy54rABpic.twitter.com/tebwgA1PCU— GPT (@giantsprospects) April 28, 2021
While most teams prefer Chandler as a pitcher, the Los Angeles Angels — who have two-way star Shohei Ohtani — are reportedly eyeing him first and foremost as a position player, and McDaniel mocks him to LA with the No. 9 pick, before the Giants have a chance.
McDaniel instead gives the Giants the dual-farm animal named Colton Cowser, a center fielder from Sam Houston State, saying, “He’s still benefiting from that familiarity with scouts given his mid-major spring competition while developing a little more power, performing well and looking like he can play center field for some teams.”
In all likelihood, the Giants will pick neither of these players, but hey ... it’s fun, and ‘tis the season.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
The Giants claimed Micah Johnson on waivers, so let’s figure out who he is (Nov. 1, 2017 — Grant Brisbee)
- Grant Brisbee has the dos and don’ts of reacting to the Giants getting swept (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Susan Slusser on Brandon Crawford proving his worth as younger shortstops get more attention heading into free agency (SF Chronicle)
- Maria Guardado on how the Giants are eager to move on from the tough series against LA (MLB)
- Melissa Lockard gets you caught up on what’s happening with the Giants Minor League players (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Dieter Kurtenbach on how the Giants are still a good team despite getting swept (Mercury News)
- Dalton Johnson on what was learned from getting swept (NBC Sports Bay Area)
What time do the Giants play today?
The Giants play the Arizona Diamondbacks tonight at 6:40 p.m. PT.
Have a sensational Tuesday, all of you.