Hello and happy Saturday. Quick programming note: no recap for today’s game.
The San Francisco Giants made a few moves on Friday, ahead of their series opener against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Most important to note is that right-handed pitcher Nick Tropeano had his contract selected from the AAA Sacramento River Cats.
To make room on the active roster for Tropeano, right-handed reliever Camilo Doval was optioned to Sacramento. And to make room on the 40-man roster the Giants designated right-handed pitcher Trevor Hildenberger for assignment — just a few days after claiming him.
ROSTER MOVES: RHP Nick Tropeano selected from triple-A Sacramento.— SFGiants (@SFGiants) May 21, 2021
RHP Camilo Doval optioned to triple-A Sacramento.
RHP Trevor Hildenberger designated for assignment.
Tropeano was somewhat surprisingly left off of the Opening Day roster, but has been pitching well in Sacramento. With Logan Webb on the Injured List, the Giants have not named a starter for Saturday afternoon’s game, so Tropeano looks in line to start that (though it’s worth noting that Scott Kazmir was pulled from his most recent start).
Old, random MCC article for you to read
The Tim Lincecum experiment is the most depressing story in baseball (July 26, 2016 — Grant Brisbee)
- Roger Munter on the awesome ridiculousness of Kyle Harrison (There R Giants, subscription required)
- Grant Brisbee on how the Giants have flipped the script and might have baseball’s best defense (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Susan Slusser on how Mike Tauchman knows all about big rivalries (SF Chronicle)
- Kerry Crowley on the high stakes in the Giants and Dodgers series (Mercury News)
- Steve Berman on how Hunter Pence’s media career is not as likely as you might think it is (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Alex Pavlovic on how the first Giants - Dodgers series has an unexpected look (NBC Sports Bay Area)
What time do the Giants play today?
The Giants play the Dodgers today at 4:15 p.m. PT.
Have a wonderful Saturday, one and all.