Hello and happy Saturday. Happy weekend.
On Friday, the San Francisco Giants released some injury updates on pitchers Tyler Beede, John Brebbia, Dedniel Núñez, and Alex Wood, and outfielder Jaylin Davis.
Latest medical updates from the Giants: pic.twitter.com/KgmLUWnJ5q— Maria I. Guardado (@mi_guardado) April 2, 2021
A few things of note. Davis’ injury explains why he was not included on the Alternate Training Site roster. Núñez rehabbing with the team suggests that the Giants will keep the Rule 5 selection this year — which will cost a Major League contract, since he has to remain on the 40-man roster — and try him out when he’s recovered from Tommy John surgery. And it looks like we’ll be seeing Alex Wood before too long, which is exciting.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Alex Dickerson is “Grandpa” and other notes about the 2019 Players’ Weekend nicknames (Aug. 6, 2019 — Bryan Murphy)
- Roger Munter looks at the first base depth chart in the Minors (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee on what the Giants taught us during their Opening Day meltdown (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Susan Slusser on why the Giants so frequently open the season on the road (SF Chronicle)
- Kerry Crowley on why Evan Longoria could end up being the Giants best bounce-back candidate on offense (Mercury News)
- Mark w. Sanchez on how Evan Longoria has a lot on his mind, but his bat is hot (KNBR)
- Marcus White with a stat to display just how bad the Opening Day bullpen collapse was (NBC Sports Bay Area)
When do the Giants play today?
The Giants play tonight at 6:10 p.m. PT.
Hope you have a lovely, lovely Saturday.