Hello and happy Tuesday.
On Monday, some sad news hit the San Francisco Giants. Former prospect Gustavo Cabrera, who was only 25, died due to complications after contracting the coronavirus.
Incredibly sad news about former Giants prospect Gustavo Cabrera, who was so talented and endured so much tragedy in his short life. This report of his death from Covid complications appears to be accurate, Giants farm director Kyle Haines said. Many in the org. are mourning. https://t.co/K6LPQVlp2y— Andrew Baggarly (@extrabaggs) April 19, 2021
The Giants signed Cabrera in 2012, when he was just a 16 year old. He was viewed by many as the top player in that year’s international signing class. But a year later he suffered a severe accident at his home, and nearly lost his hand. From 2015 through 2017 he had barely 200 Minor League plate appearances as he dealt with countless surgeries and rehab assignments to try and repair his hand. And in 2018, he opted to end his Minor League journey.
This is certainly incredibly sad news, and we’ll all be holding Gustavo and his family in our thoughts.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
The stats and scouts rank Giants prospects quite differently (Jan. 29, 2016 — Grant Brisbee)
- Roger Munter looks at the center field depth charts in the Giants Minor League system (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee on why Camilo Doval’s debut was so exciting (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Maria Guardado on the strong catching of Curt Casali (MLB)
- John Shea on how the win against the Phillies offers relief for Gabe Kapler (SF Chronicle)
- Alex Pavlovic on Gabe Kapler reaching 200 career wins against his former team (NBC Sports Bay Area)
What time do the Giants play today?
The Giants play the Phillies today at 4:05 p.m. PT.
Hope you all have just a lovely, lovely Tuesday.