Hello and happy Sunday. I hope you’re all well.
Programming note: There will not be a recap for today’s game. There will be a gamethread, though.
On Saturday, ahead of the San Francisco Giants exciting win over the Colorado Rockies, something special happened. Second baseman Donovan Solano was presented with his trophy for winning the 2020 Silver Slugger Award.
Now that makes me smile.
What an amazing story Donnie Barrels continues to be. This time two years ago he was a recently-signed Minor Leaguer, playing in Sacramento. He was 31, two years removed from his last MLB game, and had never had a season where he hit even league average.
And now he has a Silver Slugger trophy on his wall.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
How Hubie Brooks made me throw imaginary cash at a corporation that isn’t interested in taking it (Jan. 31, 2011 — Grant Brisbee)
- Grant Brisbee on how the Trevor Bauer story is funny, but will trickle down to the Giants (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Maria Guardado on how Brandon Crawford is a big deal (MLB)
- Jerry McDonald on how the bullpen has life easy with the starters going so late into games (Mercury News)
- Mark W. Sanchez on how Buster Posey’s arm looks strong (KNBR)
- Nathan Bannerman has five takeaways from the first week of the season (Around the Foghorn)
What time do the Giants play today?
The Giants play the Rockies today at 1:05 p.m. PT.
Have a swell Sunday!