Hello and happy Monday.
Over the weekend, the San Francisco Giants bullpen grew a little bit stronger. On Saturday, the team announced a Major League deal for left-handed reliever José Álvarez.
Official: #SFGiants announced that they have signed left-handed pitcher Jose Alvarez to a one-year Major League contract with a club option for 2022.— SFGiants (@SFGiants) March 6, 2021
Álvarez missed most of the 2020 season for the least fun of reasons, as he took a triple digit line drive off the reproductive organs. But in 2019 he was strong, with a 3.36 ERA, a 4.21 FIP, and 51 strikeouts to 18 walks in 59 innings. He was even better in 2018, with a 2.71 ERA, a 3.05 FIP, and 59 strikeouts to 22 walks in 63 innings.
The Giants bullpen now has an abundance of lefties, but most of them are productive against right-handed pitchers. And a year after finishing 22nd in reliever FIP, the bullpen is looking dramatically improved, thanks to the additions of Álvarez, Jake McGee, and Matt Wisler, and the health of Reyes Moronta.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Ranking every time Madison Bumgarner got angry about a home run (June 10, 2019 — Casey Cantrell)
- Roger Munter has scouts Lukas McKnight and Tom Shafer talk about Giants prospect Mauricio Pierre (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee lists five potential breakout prospects for the Giants (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Maria Guardado predicts the Opening Day roster (MLB)
- John Shea on how the Giants versatility was on full display Sunday (SF Chronicle)
- Jacob Rudner on why the Giants analytic approach is making an impression with pitchers (Mercury News)
- Katie Woo on Evan Longoria not being worried about his plantar fasciitis (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- John Shea on Heliot Ramos’ huge game (SF Chronicle)
- Steve Berman on the Giants and A’s preparing to have fans for their home openers (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Katie Woo on Buster Olney comparing Marco Luciano to Xander Bogaerts (NBC Sports Bay Area)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 24 days until Opening Day.
Have a really nice Monday, please.