Hello and happy Friday.
We’re almost a week into Cactus League games for the San Francisco Giants, and there are still a lot of big names that we haven’t seen, including presumed Opening Day starters Brandon Belt and Evan Longoria. But the team provided some updates on Thursday, and it looks like we’ll be seeing some familiar faces in the next few days.
#SFGiants updates— Kerry Crowley (@KO_Crowley) March 4, 2021
--Evan Longoria will likely make his spring debut within the next few days. Could be as a DH.
--Jaylin Davis has been nursing knee soreness, could be ready in the next few days
--Austin Slater still dealing with a mildly sore hamstring.
Belt did some baseball activity yesterday and did some throwing today. Recovering from a nasty non Covid virus, Kapler says.— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) March 4, 2021
I, for one, miss watching Brandon Belt.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Happy 15th anniversary of Randy Johnson’s bird explosion! (March 24, 2016 — Grant Brisbee)
- Podcast: Roger Munter talks with Kerry Crowley about prospects and the future (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee on why the Giants could have used the 2020 rules more than other NL teams (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Susan Slusser on the caution and concerns of Giants and A’s fans at Spring Training (SF Chronicle)
- Maria Guardado on how John Brebbia and Tyler Beede found support together after both had Tommy John surgery (MLB)
- Susan Slusser’s observations from Thursday include some standout pitching performances (SF Chronicle)
- Kerry Crowley on the takeaways from the Giants victory over the White Sox (Mercury News)
- Dalton Johnson on Kyle Haines’ high praise for Camilo Doval (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Joe Posnanski on how to harness chaotic magic with the Giants (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Alex Espinoza on why Mike Krukow thinks Marco Luciano’s debut will come in 2023 (NBC Sports Bay Area)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 27 days until Opening Day.
Please have a great Friday.