Hello and happy Wednesday. I hope it’s a great day for you.
The San Francisco Giants have been releasing a fun series through their YouTube channel called “How to train like a big league catcher.” Each video is just a few minutes of a catching prospect at Spring Training, working on the kind of behind-the-scenes drills that you may not have known catchers work on.
It’s a fun peek behind the curtain. I always wonder what drills pros do, and it’s cool to see some of them in action.
But the best part is Craig Albernaz, the team’s bullpen and catching coach. I had no experience with Albernaz before these videos, and let me just tell you ... he is a delight!
So watch them for the catching and the prospects, and stay for a very lovable Giants coach.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
McCovey Chronicles mailbag: The existence of Jeff Kent, the horrors of Steve Perry, and expensive bourbon (Jan. 30, 2015 — Grant Brisbee)
- Melissa Lockard on how the Giants and A’s are readying themselves for a Minor League Spring Training that’s full of unknowns (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Susan Slusser’s camp observations include some regulars having strong games (SF Chronicle)
- Maria Guardado on how Logan Webb is turning heads at camp (MLB)
- Kerry Crowley on Farhan Zaidi’s desire for seven-inning games (Mercury News)
- Andrew Baggarly on how different things will be for Giants fans when they return to Oracle Park (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Alex Espinoza on Gabe Kapler saying it’s realistic for Heliot Ramos to debut this year (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Kerry Crowley lists five Minor League free agents who could make the team (Mercury News)
- Jason Martinez on the third base rankings for every team, which is very ugly for the Giants (Fangraphs)
- RJ McDaniel on the second base rankings for every team, which is also ugly for the Giants but a bit less ugly (Fangraphs)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 8 days until Opening Day.
Have a wonderful Wednesday, friends.