Hello and happy Sunday.
On Saturday, the San Francisco Giants announced five more cuts from Major League camp. Outfielder Steven Duggar, who is on the 40-man roster, was optioned, while four other players were reassigned to the Minor Leagues: left-handed pitchers Anthony Banda and Sam Long, infielder Jason Krizan, and outfielder Heliot Ramos.
The Giants optioned OF Steven Duggar and reassigned:— Andrew Baggarly (@extrabaggs) March 20, 2021
•LHP Anthony Banda
•IF Jason Krizan
•LHP Sam Long
•OF Heliot Ramos
Long and Ramos have to feel great about what they showed in this camp.
As a reminder, Major League camp cuts are mostly just a formality. While this does mean that the five cut players will not make the Opening Day roster, they can remain at camp, and continue to play in Spring Training games.
All five players performed very well in camp, and Duggar, Ramos, and Long have to feel great about their standing with the team. Duggar has been on the fringe of the 40-man roster for some time, but sure looks like a player who will be on the taxi squad this year, just waiting to fill in if someone gets injured. Ramos looks like a player destined to make his MLB debut this season, and Long proved to be a part of the long-term plans in the bullpen.
There are now 42 players left at Major League camp, fighting for the 26 Opening Day roster spots.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
San Francisco Giants draft history: reviewing 2011 (May 16, 2014 — Grant Brisbee)
- Susan Slusser on the Giants Saturday camp cuts (SF Chronicle)
- Kerry Crowley takes a look at the Giants outfield depth chart (Mercury News)
- John Shea on why Brandon Crawford is driven to mentor younger players (SF Chronicle)
- Mark W. Sanchez on the signing of Phil Pfeifer (KNBR)
- Steve Berman on how Alex Dickerson is trying to find defense to match his power and humor (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Justice delos Santos on how Aaron Sanchez enjoyed his spring debut (MLB)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 11 days until Opening Day. Start getting ready, folks.
Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday.