Hello and happy Saturday. Happy weekend!
The San Francisco Giants have a lot of second basemen. Specifically, the San Francisco Giants have a lot of second basemen who are good offensively and not so much defensively.
They have Donovan Solano, who became a champagne problem by winning Silver Slugger when he was supposed to be an easily optionable depth piece. They have Wilmer Flores, who’s been a quality bat for many years now, and is on a guaranteed contract with an option for 2022. They just signed Tommy La Stella to a three-year deal.
And on top of that, they have Mauricio Dubón, who seems to mostly be a center fielder these days, but was primarily a second baseman as recently as a year ago, and is probably the best defensive option.
Maybe the Giants make a trade. But if they don’t, all four of those players are locks to be on the active roster, and the team will get creative to accommodate that. Those players will get starts at first, third, and shortstop. Maybe a player follows Dubi into the outfield. Maybe there ends up being a designated hitter.
But the hilarious and overwhelming depth is at second base, so I want your predictions. Assume a 162-game season, and predict how the starts at second base break down.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Did Shaun Anderson separate himself from the pack? (Nov. 24, 2019 — Bryan Murphy)
- Roger Munter looks at the best Minor League seasons in Giants history (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee offers up a power ranking of options for who will be the closer in 2021 (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Maria Guardado on how Tommy La Stella sees the Giants as “unique” (MLB)
- Kerry Crowley wonders if the Tommy La Stella contract proves that the Giants will start spending (Mercury News)
- John Shea on what it means for the future that the Giants will be free of big contracts (SF Chronicle)
- Andrew Baggarly on how the Giants are not afraid of older players (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Mark W. Sanchez on how Tommy La Stella wanted to be with the Giants (KNBR)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 54 days until Opening Day.
I hope you all have a great Saturday, and a lovely weekend.