Hello and happy Friday. Today’s Friday is sponsored by SB Nation Reacts, a survey of fans across MLB. Each week, we send out questions to the most plugged-in San Francisco Giants fans, and fans across the country. Sign up here to join Reacts.
By now you’re all well familiar with the fact that Fernando Tatis Jr. will be tormenting the San Francisco Giants for years to come, after the young superstar signed a 14-year deal that will keep him on the San Diego Padres until you’re an age that you really don’t want to think about. Trust me on that one. Voice of experience here.
Interestingly, even though the general consensus was that the Padres were smart to lock up Tatis for what will likely prove to be a below market rate, fewer than half of surveyed fans want their team to sign a player to a similar contract. Admittedly it’s easier to swallow such a concept when you have a player like Tatis on your roster, but still.
With that said, 61% of Giants fans would want the team to make the deal, so if Marco Luciano puts up 6 WAR next year, get it done, Farhan Zaidi and Scott Harris.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Giants 2021 schedule is here, for some reason (July 9, 2020 — Brady Klopfer)
- Podcast: Roger Munter talks with KNBR’s Mark W. Sanchez about prospects at Spring Training (There R Giants)
- Maria Guardado on how the Tommy La Stella addition impacts Donovan Solano and Evan Longoria (MLB)
- Susan Slusser on how the Giants are getting ready to welcome fans to Spring Training, and do a test run at Oracle Park (SF Chronicle)
- Dan Szymborski on playoff formats and marginal wins (Fangraphs)
- Alex Pavlovic on Sean Hjelle, who lost a year of development but gained a child (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Jacob Rudner on how the Giants are striving for more infield versatility (Mercury News)
- Dalton Johnson on why signing with the Giants was an easy decision for Jake McGee (NBC Sports Bay Area)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 34 days until Opening Day. We are getting oh so close.
Have a swell Friday, friends.