Hello and happy Thursday.
In totally shocking news, the San Francisco Giants have signed yet another pitcher. This time it’s 25-year old right-hander Jeremy Walker, who had spent the entirety of his career in the Atlanta Braves system.
Walker broke the news on his Instagram, which was first noticed by Mark W. Sanchez of KNBR.
The Giants signed righty Jeremy Walker, as he announced on his Instagram. 25-year-old was a fifth-round pick in 2016 and came through the Braves system as a starter, then debuted in 2019 as a reliever.https://t.co/lT8aSmujsF— Mark W. Sanchez (@MarkWSanchez) February 24, 2021
A fifth-round pick in 2016, Walker was ranked by Fangraphs as the team’s No. 21 prospect a year ago, with a future value of 35+.
Though he didn’t play in 2020, due to a lack of Minor Leagues, he was super solid in 2019 across three levels. In 58.2 AA innings he had a 2.45 ERA and 2.11 FIP, with 57 strikeouts to just 5 walks. In 22.2 AAA innings he had a 3.97 ERA and 2.92 FIP with 25 strikeouts to 6 walks. And then he made his MLB debut, and in 9.1 innings had a 1.93 ERA and 3.21 FIP with 6 strikeouts to 4 walks.
Those are very Giantsy strikeout to walk ratios.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Buster Posey holds million-vote lead in 2015 NL All-Star Game voting (June 23, 2015 — Grant Brisbee)
- Roger Munter with five (or six) things to know about the Minor League schedule (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee on if the Giants finally have enough rotation depth after signing Scott Kazmir (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Susan Slusser on the critical skill for NL pitchers in 2021 (SF Chronicle)
- Maria Guardado on how Donovan Solano was surprised to win the Silver Slugger (MLB)
- Kerry Crowley on if Donovan Solano will be a part-time player, and on Jake McGee taking the mound (Mercury News)
- Alex Pavlovic on how Donovan Solano has no hard feelings after losing his arbitration case (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Alex Pavlovic on how the Giants are giving outfielder LaMonte Wade Jr. a long look (NBC Sports Bay Area)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 35 days until Opening Day. A Brandon Crawford number of days.
Have a great Thursday, beautiful people.