Hello and happy Tuesday.
Word on the street is that the San Francisco Giants intend to put the newly acquired Shun Yamaguchi in the Minor Leagues to start the season. However, it is my opinion that he should make the Opening Day roster and be the Opening Day starter. He should also have his jersey retired and probably have his statue commissioned.
I arrived at these opinions independently, based entirely on his baseball skills, and not at all on his opinions of things.
Shun Yamaguchi is meeting with reporters over Zoom today and he's indicated he's a big Tim Lincecum fan.— Kerry Crowley (@KO_Crowley) February 22, 2021
Watched a lot of videos of Lincecum and called him a "special pitcher." Also noted he's excited to play for the same franchise Barry Bonds played for.
Oh whoops, sorry, how did that tweet get in there? Didn’t mean for that to happen. That was weird. Sorry about that.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Reminder that it’s still OK to cheer for Sergio Romo (Feb. 21, 2017 — Grant Brisbee)
- Roger Munter on the types of hitters that the Giants will be best at developing (There R Giants)
- Andrew Baggarly on how Brandon Crawford doesn’t want this to be his final year with the Giants (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Susan Slusser on how Mike Yastrzemski is prioritizing defense this year (SF Chronicle)
- Maria Guardado on how Mike Yastrzemski feels unsatisfied after last season (MLB)
- Kerry Crowley on how Mike Yastrzemski can get even more valuable this year (Mercury News)
- Susan Slusser on how Spring Training is starting with no fuss and limited meetings (SF Chronicle)
- Alex Pavlovic on how Gabe Kapler is impressed by Marco Luciano’s strength (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Andrew Baggarly on how transparency is the theme of the Giants camp (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Kerry Crowley’s takeaways from the first full squad practice day (Mercury News)
- Alex Pavlovic on how the Giants have chased Aaron Sanchez for years (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Eric Longenhagen and Kevin Goldstein on how teams will approach the 2021 draft (Fangraphs)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 37 days until Opening Day.
That was Kelby Tomlinson’s jersey number, you know.
Have a great one, friends.