Hello and happy Saturday.
The team knew about the surgery when they signed the veteran to be Buster Posey’s backup, and he’s currently slowly ramping up activity at Spring Training in Scottsdale, Arizona. He’s expected to be ready for Opening Day, but if he’s not, the Giants have both of their primary catchers from 2020 — Chadwick Tromp and Joey Bart — on the 40-man roster.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
A look back at a few times Hunter Pence was extra (June 27, 2018 — Carmen Kiew)
- Podcast: Roger Munter speaks with Giants pitching prospect Mac Marshall (There R Giants)
- Roger Munter lets scouts Lukas McKnight and Tom Shafer take over his site to discuss Marco Luciano (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee on how the Giants won’t be signing anyone to a Fernando Tatis Jr. style contract for a long time (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Maria Guardado on why it was an easy decision for Kevin Gausman to return to the Giants (MLB)
- Kerry Crowley on Day 3 of Spring Training, including a Tyler Beede health update (Mercury News)
- Alex Pavlovic on Gabe Kapler’s assessment of the new pitchers (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Keith Law ranks the Giants top 20 prospects (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Alex Pavlovic on what happens next for Logan Webb (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- John Shea on how Logan Webb is taking advantage of an old A’s connection (SF Chronicle)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 40 days until Opening Day.
I hope you all have a lovely Saturday, and a great weekend.