Hello and happy Tuesday.
Pitchers and catchers report tomorrow, which means that San Francisco Giants baseball is so close you can practically taste it. Soon you’ll be able to literally taste it, if licking your computer screen is your kind of thing. No judgement.
It’s this time of year where I find my rooting interests strongest. Before I get fully invested in the Giants as a team each year, I get fully invested in each of the individuals. But fandom is irrational, which means I’m always more invested in some players.
So who are you irrationally invested in this year? Which player do you want to see succeed, whether success means cracking the roster or making the All-Star Game? Perhaps you’re into former prospects who have struggled and are now on the outside looking in, such as Steven Duggar or Jaylin Davis. Maybe you’re into players the franchise values but have a difficult path back to the Majors, such as Chadwick Tromp or Luis Alexander Basabe.
Perhaps you want fan favorites to have a last potentially final year, and it’s all about Brandon Belt or Brandon Crawford. Maybe you want Mike Yastrzemski to get the recognition he should have gotten last year by repeating his performance.
Maybe you’re into breakout candidates and want to see Logan Webb or Joey Bart shine. Maybe you’re into the feel good story and want a dominant year from Trevor Gott. Or maybe you’re into Buster Posey and so ... yeah, Buster Posey.
All answers are good answers.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Tim Lincecum’s slider and the return of the whiff (May 14, 2014 — Chris Quick)
- Roger Munter offers up a primer on the Giants non-roster invitees (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee on why looking at the Giants worst hitters will make you feel more confident about the offense (The Athletic, subscription required)
- John Shea on how the Giants will handle Buster Posey and Joey Bart (SF Chronicle)
- Maria Guardado lists the Giants five best homegrown draft picks in franchise history (MLB)
- Kerry Crowley on the Giants plans for Joey Bart and Heliot Ramos (Mercury News)
- Alex Pavlovic on why the Giants are so excited to watch Heliot Ramos in camp (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Andrew Baggarly on how Jaylin Davis is still hoping to break into the Giants crowded outfield (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Alex Espinoza on Gabe Kapler identifying Tyler Rogers and Caleb Baragar as closer candidates (NBC Sports Bay Area)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 44 days until Opening Day.
I hope you all greatly enjoy your Tuesday.