Hello and happy Thursday.
The San Francisco Giants are kicking things off in six days, as pitchers and catchers report on Wednesday. Not long after that, they’ll start playing honest to goodness games.
And there will be fans at those honest to goodness games. The Giants received clearance from the city of Scottsdale, Arizona to allow a small number of fans at home games during Spring Training. The news was first reported by Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.
I’ve just learned that the Giants have received approval from Major League Baseball and are working with the City of Scottsdale to host approximately 750-1000 fans per game for each of the home games at Scottsdale Stadium.— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) February 10, 2021
The team later confirmed the news in a statement.
Statement from the Giants about spring training attendance: pic.twitter.com/2l2FnprHWk— Andrew Baggarly (@extrabaggs) February 10, 2021
Why we are trying to get fans into games is beyond me, but that’s a topic for another day. Or perhaps for later today.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
If Ehire Adrianza is the biggest problem on the Giants, they’re probably in good shape (March 30, 2016 — Grant Brisbee)
- Roger Munter on the 2021 developmental staff (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee on which reliever from Giants history you would choose to save your life (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Ben Clemens on how the Giants are throwing bullpen darts (Fangraphs)
- Kerry Crowley on the top storylines ahead of the Giants season (Mercury News)
- Alex Pavlovic projects the Giants lineups against righties and lefties (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Juan Toribio on corner infielders in the NL West (MLB)
- Keith Law ranks every team’s farm system (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Alex Pavlovic on how the Giants are running it back with the outfield after an offseason of rumors (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Mark W. Sanchez on projections for the Giants season (KNBR)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 49 days until Opening Day.
Have a really great Thursday, friends. Say happy birthday to my sister if you see her.