Hello and happy Tuesday.
On Monday, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reported that the San Francisco Giants have fielded calls on catcher Joey Bart, widely considered to be the second-best prospect in the farm. But Rosenthal noted that while Bart’s name has come up, the Giants are not actively shopping him.
The Giants, like most clubs, are open to virtually all trade possibilities, and some in the industry speculate that Bart could bring them a controllable starting pitcher in return. But while Bart’s name is surfacing in discussions – the Indians mentioned him when the Giants inquired about Francisco Lindor, and the losers of the J.T. Realmuto sweepstakes are among the others that might have interest – the team is not actively shopping him, sources said.
Rosenthal made the good point that Farhan Zaidi, while with the Los Angeles Dodgers, made a habit of acquiring very good catchers.
Bart debuted in 2020, and struggled mightily, but the future is still bright with him. Yet with the Giants welcoming back Buster Posey, as well as the recently-signed Curt Casali, it seems like Bart could spend the bulk of the upcoming season in Sacramento.
Do you think Bart will ever spend a season as the Giants starting catcher? Or will he be traded before that day comes?
Old, random MCC article for you to read
The Giants lost another game to the Dodgers, I’m so sorry to have to tell you this, but they’re just not very good this year, and it appears as if their failures are naked and on display in front of the baseball world (July 29, 2017 — Grant Brisbee)
- Grant Brisbee on why Heliot Ramos might be the team’s most important prospect this season (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Maria Guardado on the five best games by Giants pitchers (MLB)
- Andrew Baggarly on how Giants fans feel about Charles Johnson’s political donations (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Maria Guardado on the many great nicknames in Giants history (MLB)
- Marcus White on Martin Luther King Jr. meeting Willie Mays (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- John Shea on Charles Johnson asking for a return of his donation to Lauren Boebert (SF Chronicle)
- Dalton Johnson on how the Giants inquired about Francisco Lindor (NBC Sports Bay Area)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 72 days until Opening Day.
Hope you all have a great Tuesday.