Hello and happy Tuesday. And happy 47th anniversary to my wonderful parents.
On Monday, the San Francisco Giants announced that they had released infielder Abiatal Avelino.
The @SFGiants release IF Abiatal Avelino from Alternate Training Site.— Amy Gutierrez (@AmyGGiants) September 7, 2020
Avelino was designated for assignment a few weeks ago, but cleared waivers and was reassigned to the Alternate Training Site in Sacramento. But he didn’t stay there for very long before getting released.
The right-hander made his MLB debut in 2018 for the Giants, and appeared in 10 games over the course of two seasons with San Francisco, hitting 5-18. His release marks the completion of the Andrew McCutchen trade, as Avelino was acquired from the New York Yankees, along with right-handed pitcher Juan De Paula in 2018. De Paula was subsequently traded as part of the package that landed the Giants Kevin Pillar, who was non-tendered in the offseason.
Did Barry Bonds hit a home run today?
September 8, 1996: Against the Cincinnati Reds, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 6th inning off of Dave Burba. It tied the game 1-1, but the Giants would lose 8-3. It was his 37th homer of the year.
September 8, 2002: Against the Arizona Diamondbacks, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 4th inning off of Brian Anderson. It tied the game 1-1, and the Giants would win 3-1. It was his 42nd homer of the year.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
NLDS Game 3: Giants Get Three Hits, Win (Oct. 11, 2012 — Grant Brisbee)
- Dieter Kurtenbach on how we’re now seeing the real Brandon Belt (Mercury News)
- Ali Thanawalla on why Shawn Estes thinks the Giants should re-sign Kevin Gausman (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Henry Schulman on how Caleb Baragar carved out such an important role (SF Chronicle)
- Alex Pavlovic on Gabe Kapler managing with urgency (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Kerry Crowley on how the coaching staff has overcome skepticism (Mercury News)
- Mark W. Sanchez on the status of the rotation as Drew Smyly gets ready to return (KNBR)
- Alex Pavlovic has takeaways from Monday’s series finale (NBC Sports Bay Area)
Have a wonderful Tuesday, everyone. Especially my parents.