Hello and happy Sunday.
On Saturday, San Francisco Giants pitchers Drew Smyly and Jeff Samardzija both threw three-inning simulation games at Oracle Park, as the injured starters continue their rehab.
Both Samardzija and Smyly threw 3 inning simulated games today at Oracle Park. They each threw all of their pitches, threw roughly 50 pitches a piece and came out of it well. They will be evaluated before next steps are decided. #SFGiants— Amy Gutierrez (@AmyGGiants) September 5, 2020
Barring any setbacks, each pitcher should be ready to return soon. It will be interesting to see what the Giants do when those veterans are healthy. They have three starters locked in — Johnny Cueto, Kevin Gausman, and Logan Webb — but Smyly and Samardzija could presumably take the spots of Tyler Anderson and Trevor Cahill. Or one could, with the other moving to the bullpen.
We’ll soon find out, but it looks like reinforcements to the pitching staff are nearly here.
Did Barry Bonds hit a home run today?
Just one, but it was a nice one.
September 6, 2001: Against the Arizona Diamondbacks, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 2nd inning off of Albie Lopez. It gave the Giants a 5-2 lead, and they would win 9-5. It was his 60th homer of the year.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Giants Sign Madison Bumgarner To Five- (Or Six-, or Seven-) Year Extension (April 16, 2012 — Grant Brisbee)
- John Shea on how Madison Bumgarner is reminiscing (SF Chronicle)
- Jesse Sanchez on Madison Bumgarner not finding it weird to return to San Francisco (MLB)
- Ali Thanawalla on Buster Posey surprising children who are battling cancer (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Mark W. Sanchez on the Giants downplaying Madison Bumgarner’s return (KNBR)
- Alex Pavlovic on how Mauricio Dubon beat himself up after Friday’s game (NBC Sports Bay Area)
Have a wonderful Sunday, everyone.