The San Francisco Giants haven’t done themselves any favors in the last few two nights, losing in deflating fashion on Friday and pathetic fashion on Saturday.
And because the Giants didn’t do themselves any favors, they must now rely on someone else to do them favors.
The good news for the Giants is that the Cardinals are better than the Brewers (29-28 with a +8 differential vs. 29-30 with a -14 differential), and they’re at home, and they have a lot on the line so they’ll be inspired.
The bad news for the Giants is that for the first time in a while, they don’t control their own fate. They need help if they want their season to extend beyond this afternoon.
There’s also a tiny chance that the Giants sneak into the playoffs due to the Cardinals having to play a makeup doubleheader against the Detroit Tigers on Monday and losing both games, but that is highly unlikely and we’re just going to pretend it doesn’t exist.
Did Barry Bonds hit a home run today?
Why yes he did.
September 27, 1995: Against the San Diego Padres, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 8th inning off of Doug Bochtler. It cut the Giants deficit to 4-2, which was the final score. It was his 32nd homer of the year.
September 27, 2005: Against the San Diego Padres, Bonds hit a 3-run home run in the 1st inning off of Adam Eaton, scoring Randy Winn and Omar Vizquel. It gave the Giants a 3-0 lead, but they would lose 9-6. It was his 5th homer of the year.
Old, random MCC article for you
The loss of Willie McCovey is incomparable (Nov. 1, 2018 — Grant Brisbee)
- Grant Brisbee on the one and only Hunter Pence (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Kerry Crowley on why Mike Yastrzemski was the perfect choice for the Willie Mac Award (Mercury News)
- Marcus White on how Hunter Pence’s home run from earlier in the season could be a huge play if the Giants make the postseason (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- John Shea on why the Giants released Jeff Samardzija when they did (SF Chronicle)
- Mark W. Sanchez on Jeff Samardzija’s emotional goodbye (KNBR)
I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday.