Hello and happy Saturday.
Today is Willie Mac Award day. Before the San Francisco Giants 6:15 p.m. PT game against the San Diego Padres, the Giants will announce the winner of the Willie Mac Award, given each year to the player who best embodies the spirit of the outstanding Willie McCovey.
The award is voted on by the Giants players, coaches, and fans. Mike Yastrzemski would seem to be the favorite, but without being in the clubhouse to see what things look like behind the scenes, it’s hard to say with too much certainty.
Did Barry Bonds hit a home run today?
September 26, 1993: Against the San Diego Padres, Bonds hit 2-run home run in the 4th inning off of Doug Brocail, scoring Matt Williams. It gave the Giants a 2-1 lead, and they would win 5-2. It was his 44th homer of the year, and his 4th in the last 3 games.
September 26, 1997: Against the San Diego Padres, Bonds hit a 2-run home run in the 6th inning off of Todd Erdos, scoring Darryl Hamilton. It gave the Giants a 16-2 lead, and they would win 17-4. It was his 40th homer of the year.
September 26, 2003: Against the Los Angeles Dodgers, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 4th inning off of Kazuhisa Ishii. It gave the Giants a 7-1 lead, and they would win 10-1 (beat LA). It was his 45th homer of the year.
September 26, 2004: Against the Los Angeles Dodgers, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 3rd inning off of Jeff Weaver. It gave the Giants a 3-2 lead, but they would lose 7-4. It was his 45th homer of the year.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
The position-by-position home run records of the San Francisco Giants (Aug. 19, 2014 — Grant Brisbee)
- Roger Munter on prospects who weren’t good right away (There R Giants)
- Henry Schulman on how veteran Tony Watson is leading by example for a young bullpen (SF Chronicle)
- Eno Sarris hands out awards for the best pitches, including Johnny Cueto’s changeup (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Mark W. Sanchez on Kevin Gausman’s desire to stay in San Francisco and pitch with Buster Posey (KNBR)
- Dieter Kurtenbach on the return of Giants torture baseball (Mercury News)
I hope you all have a wonderful Saturday.