Hello and happy Wednesday.
When it seemed like the 2020 MLB season might not happen, many wondered how the order for the 2021 MLB Draft would be determined. And some wondered if the league would choose new parameters for draft order due to a shortened season.
But no. According to a report from ESPN, the 2021 draft order should be based on 2020 records, just as in normal years. This is due to a clause that reportedly only allowed MLB to alter the draft order if the season was canceled. That means the Giants will be picking in the middle of the first round, similar to where they picked in June.
Did Barry Bonds hit a home run today?
September 23, 1997: Against the Colorado Rockies, Bonds hit a 2-run home run in the 9th inning off of Jerry Dipoto, scoring Bill Mueller. It cut the Giants deficit to 7-5, and they would lose 7-6. It was his 39th homer of the year.
September 23, 2001: Against the San Diego Padres, Bonds hit 2 solo home runs off of Jason Middlebrook. A 2nd inning shot gave the Giants a 4-0 lead, and a 4th inning shot extended the lead to 7-1. The Giants would win 11-2. They were his 65th and 66th homers of the year.
September 23, 2006: Against the Milwaukee Brewers, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 3rd inning off of Chris Capuano. It cut the Giants deficit to 6-2, and they would lose 10-8. It was his 26th homer of the year.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Reminder: the Giants paid for their stadium their own damn selves (Jan. 14, 2016 — Doug Bruzzone)
- Grant Brisbee on how to appreciate Luis Basabe’s limited plate appearances (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Kerry Crowley looks back on the decision to let Kevin Pillar go (Mercury News)
- Mark W. Sanchez on the amazing story Alex Dickerson can tell his kid (KNBR)
- John Shea on the Giants launching a voter engagement campaign ahead of the election (SF Chronicle)
- Andrew Baggarly on how the Giants pitchers haven’t delivered enough value (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Chris Haft looks back on Juan Marichal’s top 10 moments (MLB)
- Mark W. Sanchez on how Darin Ruf waited a long time for this (KNBR)
- Alex Pavlovic on how the Giants are leaking oil (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Kerry Crowley on how the bullpen is excelling but the starters are lagging (Mercury News)
I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday.