Hello and happy Wednesday.
With any luck, there will actually be San Francisco Giants baseball again today. And there’s good news for the Giants on the pitching front.
An MRI on Kevin Gausman — who was scratched from a scheduled start on Sunday due to elbow soreness — came back negative. There’s no structural damage, and the Giants anticipate that Gausman will start during the upcoming weekend series against the Oakland A’s.
Gabe Kapler said Kevin Gausman's MRI came back clean and did not show any structural issues. He'll likely pitch this weekend vs. the A's.— Maria I. Guardado (@mi_guardado) September 15, 2020
As for the two-game series on Wednesday and Thursday against the Seattle Mariners? It’ll be Drew Smyly and Tyler Anderson, in that order.
The Giants will flip-flop Tyler Anderson and Drew Smyly. It'll be Smyly tomorrow and Anderson on Thursday vs. the Mariners.— Andrew Baggarly (@extrabaggs) September 15, 2020
It would seem that Trevor Cahill has lost his spot in the rotation.
Did Barry Bonds hit a home run today?
September 16, 1996: Against the San Diego Padres, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 2nd inning off of Scott Sanders. It gave the Giants a 1-0 lead, but they would lose 2-1 in 11 innings. It was his 40th homer of the year.
September 16, 2002: Against the Los Angeles Dodgers, Bonds hit a 2-run home run in the 7th inning off of Jesse Orosco, scoring Kenny Lofton. It cut the Giants deficit to 6-5, but they would lose 7-6. It was his 44th homer of the year.
September 16, 2003: Against the San Diego Padres, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 5th inning off of Adam Eaton. It gave the Giants a 4-0 lead, and they would win 4-2. It was his 43rd homer of the year.
September 16, 2005: Against the Los Angeles Dodgers, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 1st inning off of Brad Penny. It gave the Giants a 2-0 lead, and they would win 5-4 (beat LA). It was his 1st homer of the year.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Just how much work do the Giants have to do this offseason? (Nov. 7, 2017 — Grant Brisbee)
- Roger Munter watches a Seth Corry start (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee on what the Giants need to do to catch the Padres in the long run (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Grant Brisbee grades the 2020 rule changes (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Henry Schulman talks with Will Wilson about a day in the life at the Alternate Training Site (SF Chronicle)
- Alex Pavlovic on the Giants to watch down the stretch (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Mark W. Sanchez on how Donovan Solano’s bat isn’t cooling down (KNBR)
- Kerry Crowley on the Giants decision to tweak the rotation (Mercury News)
- Alex Pavlovic on Tyler Beede hitting an important milestone in his Tommy John rehab (NBC Sports Bay Area)
I hope it’s a wonderful Wednesday for you all.