Hello and happy Friday.
The trade deadline is coming up on Monday, and a surge from the San Francisco Giants has put the organization in a funny spot, just as it did a year ago. Only this time the Giants are playing a shortened season with an expanded playoff pool, so they’re really in the postseason race.
But they also know that the future is more important than the present, which surely makes trades worth looking at.
For many of us, it’s hard to say whether the Giants should buy, sell, or stand pat at the deadline, since we don’t know what offers will be on the table (especially this year). That kind of matters.
With that said ... should the Giants buy, sell, or stand pat?
Did Barry Bonds hit a home run today?
August 28, 1997: Against the Texas Rangers, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 5th inning off of Bobby Witt. It gave the Giants a 3-1 lead, but they would lose 11-5. It was his 31st homer of the year.
August 28, 2002: Against the Colorado Rockies, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 1st inning off of Jason Jennings. It followed a Jeff Kent home run, and gave the Giants a 2-0 lead on the way to a 9-1 victory. It was his 39th homer of the year.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
San Francisco Giants Link Dump, 10/27 (Oct. 27, 2014 — Doug Bruzzone)
- Podcast: Roger Munter and Carmen Kiew talk all things Giants (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee on why the Giants and Dodgers had to boycott their game (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Andrew Baggarly on how the Giants were not unanimous in their decision to not play (The Athletic, subscription required)
- John Shea on Mike Yastrzemski’s support of not playing on Wednesday (SF Chronicle)
- Kerry Crowley on the ‘impossible question’ of whether the Giants would have played on Wednesday if the Dodgers hadn’t decided to protest (Mercury News)
- Brian Murphy on how the Giants honored their history on Wednesday (KNBR)
- Henry Schulman and John Shea on how the Giants navigated a locker room that had differing views (SF Chronicle)
- Maria Guardado previews the trade deadline (MLB)
- Dalton Johnson on how Mike Yastrzemski told Kevin Pillar that he’s aiming for the MVP (NBC Sports Bay Area)
Have a wonderful Friday, everyone.