Hello and happy Saturday.
On Friday, the San Francisco Giants released middle infielder Yolmer Sánchez, at Sánchez’s request.
The Giants released Yolmer Sanchez from alternate site. He had requested his release to pursue other opportunities. It had become clear he wasn't in big league plans here.— Alex Pavlovic (@PavlovicNBCS) August 21, 2020
Sánchez was signed to a Minor League contract in the offseason, and it was a slightly surprising move. The reigning Gold Glove winner said he chose to sign with the Giants due the potential to start, something he was prioritizing.
With the Giants already having Wilmer Flores, Mauricio Dubón, and Donovan Solano, it seemed Sánchez had his work cut out for him, since he’s never been a good hitter.
He struggled in the preseason, and an injury kept him from having any shot at making the Opening Day roster. With Flores and Solano hitting the absolute snot out of the ball, and Dubón being a prospect the team clearly values, it was hard to see any path for Sánchez to make the team.
Best of luck to him going forward.
Did Barry Bonds hit a home run today?
Why yes he did.
August 22, 1999: Against the Milwaukee Brewers, Bonds hit a 2-run home run in the 1st inning off of Cal Eldred, scoring Bill Mueller. It gave the Giants a 2-0 lead, and was the first of three straight home runs, with Jeff Kent and Ellis Burks following. The Giants would win 7-3. It was his 22nd homer of the year.
August 22, 2000: Against the Florida Marlins, Bonds hit a 2-run home run in the 8th inning off of Dan Miceli, scoring Felipe Crespo. It cut the Giants deficit to 7-4, and they would lose 7-5. It was his 37th homer of the year.
August 22, 2004: Against the New York Mets, Bonds hit a 2-run home run in the 1st inning off of Matt Ginter, scoring Edgardo Alfonzo. It gave the Giants a 3-0 lead, and they would win 3-1. It was his 35th homer of the year.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Hey, you ever notice how Joc Pederson likes to clutch his D & Bs during his A-Bs? (June 15, 2018 — Bryan Murphy)
- Roger Munter on the arrival of Joey Bart (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee tries to figure out which surprisingly hot Giant will keep it going (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Kerry Crowley on the next young Giants stars to get excited about (Mercury News)
- Andrew Baggarly on the understated impact of Joey Bart’s debut (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Alex Pavlovic on Joey Bart’s calmness (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- John Shea on Joey Bart’s emotional reaction to getting called up (SF Chronicle)
- Alex Pavlovic on fans getting creative with the cutouts (NBC Sports Bay Area)
Have a wonderful Saturday, everybody.