Hello and happy Friday. I hope it’s a wonderful day.
He played great defense. He got on base twice. He hit a double. He had the hardest hit ball of the night.
It was grand.
But it wasn’t what he did on the diamond that made fans most excited about the future of the Giants organization. It was what he said before his debut, when he called fellow top prospects Marco Luciano, Heliot Ramos, and Alexander Canario “really freaky.”
Asked about Ramos and Luciano and how they looked in Sacramento, Bart mentioned that Alexander Canario was also equally impressive. "Some guys that we have down there are really, really freaky," he said. "Those guys make this game look really easy."— Alex Pavlovic (@PavlovicNBCS) August 21, 2020
It’s OK to be excited; it is exciting, after all.
Did Barry Bonds hit a home run today?
Well ... yeah.
August 21, 2003: Against the Atlanta Braves, Bonds hit a walk-off, solo home run in the 10th inning off of Trey Hodges, giving the Giants a 4-3 win. It was his 39th homer of the year, and his second walk-off home run of the series.
August 21, 2006: Against the Arizona Diamondbacks, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 4th inning off of Livan Hernandez. It gave the Giants a 1-0 lead, and they would win 5-0. It was his 17th homer of the year.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
The Giants’ backup catchers of the last 20 years (Aug. 12, 2013 — Grant Brisbee)
- Grant Brisbee’s guide for what to do and not when watching Joey Bart’s debut is still applicable (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Alex Pavlovic explains why Stephen Vogt is very high on Joey Bart (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Jim Callis on what to expect from Joey Bart (MLB)
- Andrew Baggarly on the Giants offense finally feeling at home when at home (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Dalton Johnson on what Joey Bart improved in the last month (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Kerry Crowley on why the Giants could take the 2020 trade deadline down to the wire (Mercury News)
- Alex Pavlovic on how Joey Bart stayed patient while waiting for his call up (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Henry Schulman has 5 takeaways from the Joey Bart promotion (SF Chronicle)
- Alex Pavlovic on how Gabe Kapler intends to use Joey Bart as an everyday player (NBC Sports Bay Area)
Have a wonderful Friday, everyone.