Hello and happy Tuesday.
During Monday night’s game against the Houston Astros, San Francisco Giants catcher Chadwick Tromp committed a costly catcher’s interference. It was his first of the season, but the fourth that the Giants have had, as Tyler Heineman has a trio of the errors.
Just how bad is that?
Here’s how bad: The four catcher’s interferences that the Giants have committed this year is more than Buster Posey has had in his entire career.
The Giants have played 18 games this year. Posey has played 987 career games at the catcher position.
That's the fourth catcher's interference call on Giants in 18 games and it costs them a run right away. Buster Posey has one in the last six seasons and three in his career.— Alex Pavlovic (@PavlovicNBCS) August 11, 2020
And, not surprisingly, the Giants are trying to lap the field when it comes to this dubious category.
There have been nine catcher's interference calls in the major leagues this season. The Giants have four of them.— Andrew Baggarly (@extrabaggs) August 11, 2020
Well... at least they’re number one at something?
Did Barry Bonds hit a home run today?
August 11, 2001: Against the Chicago Cubs, Bonds hit a 3-run home run in the 2nd inning off of Joe Borowski, scoring Livan Hernandez and Rich Aurilia. It gave the Giants a 6-0 lead, and they would win 9-4. It was his 50th homer of the year.
Old, random MCC article to read
Did the Giants forget about the bullpens when building AT&T Park? (May 31, 2013 — Grant Brisbee)
- Roger Munter on where the newest Giants prospects fit on prospect lists (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee on why the Giants can’t afford to pull starting pitchers too early (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Podcast: Grant Brisbee and Andrew Baggarly recap the Dodgers series (The Athletic, free)
- Kerry Crowley on Gabe Kapler’s instructions for the Giants to stay out of trouble (Mercury News)
- Mark W. Sanchez on how Sam Selman is angering hitters (KNBR)
- John Shea on Farhan Zaidi’s trust in Gabe Kapler (SF Chronicle)
- Alex Pavlovic on the brawl between the Astros and A’s being a good reminder for the Giants to stay responsible (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Andrew Baggarly on why Gabe Kapler chose to take out Kevin Gausman (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Alex Pavlovic on a prospect milestone that the Giants hit (NBC Sports Bay Area)
Have a great Tuesday, everyone.