Hello and happy Friday.
The Giants have been dealing with a few absent players, and a few physically compromised players this Summer Camp. I suspect every team has been.
That got a little worse on Thursday, when third baseman Evan Longoria suffered a moderate oblique strain while swinging the bat.
Evan Longoria has a moderate right oblique strain. He was injured while swinging.#SFGiants won't have Posey for Opening Day and Gabe Kapler isn't certain Longoria or Brandon Belt (right heel issue) will be ready. He'll check in with each player on their progress every day.— Kerry Crowley (@KO_Crowley) July 17, 2020
Longoria missing time would be a hit to the Giants, as he figured to be not just an everyday player, but a clubhouse leader as well. Pablo Sandoval would likely get the bulk of the reps (as he did when Longoria was injured in 2019), though the team could experiment with other infielders, like Mauricio Dubón, Yolmer Sánchez, Donovan Solano, and Austin Slater.
Hopefully Longoria (and Brandon Belt) heal up nicely and quickly.
Also of note: Billy Hamilton has arrived at camp.
Did Barry Bonds hit a home run today?
Yep, but just one.
July 17, 1993: Against the New York Mets, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 7th inning off of Frank Tanana. It cut the Giants deficit to 3-1, which was the final score. It was his 25th homer of the year.
- Grant Brisbee waxes on Bengie Molina, triples, and cycles (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Kerry Crowley on how Kyle Harrison became the key player in the Giants draft class (Mercury News)
- Joe Posnanski on The Shot Heard ‘Round the World (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Henry Schulman on Yolmer Sanchez trying to shed the glove-only label (SF Chronicle)
- Mark W. Sanchez updates the status of some relievers (KNBR)
- Andrew Baggarly on why Joey Bart won’t make the Opening Day roster (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Mark W. Sanchez on Mauricio Dubon impressing in center field (KNBR)
- Alex Pavlovic on the Giants eschewing traditional bullpen roles (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Kerry Crowley on masks at baseball games (Mercury News)
- John Shea on a beautiful catch by Mauricio Dubon, and other camp notes (SF Chronicle)
- Mark W. Sanchez on Joey Bart impressing, but the Giants not budging (KNBR)
- Craig Edwards on Mike Yastrzemski and the Giants ranking 25th in center field (Fangraphs)
- Ben Clemens on Alex Dickerson and the Giants ranking 26th in left field (Fangraphs)
Have a great Friday, everyone.