Hello everyone, and happy Tuesday. Here’s hoping the day brings us good baseball news, but let’s not hold our breath.
Everything in baseball is getting canceled, postponed, or altered. So it should come as no surprise that the International Signing Period — commonly referred to as J2 — has been bumped from July 2 to Jan. 15, 2021.
Major League Baseball has officially pushed the start of the upcoming international signing period back to Jan. 15, 2021.— Kyle Glaser (@KyleAGlaser) June 15, 2020
Like pretty much everything that’s happening in the sport right now, this isn’t surprising, but it is disappointing.
Did Barry Bonds hit a home run today?
June 16, 1993: Against the Cincinnati Reds, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 9th inning off of Rob Dibble. It tied the game 4-4, and the Giants would win 6-5 in 10 innings. It was his 19th homer of the year, and his 3rd straight game with a dinger.
June 16, 1994: Against the Houston Astros, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 8th inning off of Mike Hampton. It cut the Giants deficit to 4-3, but they would lose 6-3. It was his 15th homer of the year.
June 16, 2000: Against the Houston Astros, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 3rd inning off of Scott Elarton. It gave the Giants a 3-0 lead, and they would win 7-4. It was his 26th homer of the year.
June 16, 2006: Against the Seattle Mariners, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 2nd inning off of Felix Hernandez. It cut the Giants deficit to 2-1, and they would lose 5-4. It was his 10th homer of the year.
And in 1996 he made this catch:
- Alex Pavlovic on the team putting the finishing touches on the new bullpens (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- John Shea and Henry Schulman on the 2012 World Series, and Willie Mays (SF Chronicle)
- Ali Thanawalla on players reacting to Rob Manfred’s comments (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Alex Pavlovic on the Giants draft picks entering baseball at an uncertain time (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Andrew Baggarly on Darren Baker opting to go to Cal after going undrafted (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Will Leitch on every team’s best season from a player age-40 or over (MLB)
- Alex Pavlovic on the skills that made the Giants attracted to Patrick Bailey (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Gary Peterson on how Giants Baseball Operations Analyst Jack McGeary loves the team’s facilities (The Mercury News)
- Keith Law analyzes every NL team’s draft (The Athletic, subscription required)
Have a great Tuesday, everyone.