Hello! Happy Thursday, and welcome to Day 2 of the 2020 MLB Draft.
Today the Giants have six more draft picks: their own picks in the final four rounds, as well as two picks in the competitive balance round B, the compensation for losing Madison Bumgarner and Will Smith in free agency.
Here’s everything you need to know:
Best available players
The day kicks off with the 38th overall pick, which means the Giants will have the 12th pick of the day. Per Kiley McDaniel’s big board at ESPN, here are the top 10 players on the board as the day begins. Ranking in parentheses.
- Dillon Dingler, C, Ohio State (17)
- Clayton Beeter, RHP, Texas Tech (22)
- Cole Wilcox, RHP, Georgia (23)
- Jared Kelley, RHP, Refugio High School in Texas (26)
- Tanner Witt, RHP, Episcopal High School in Texas (27)
- J.T. Ginn, RHP, Mississippi State (28)
- Dax Fulton, LHP, Mustang High School in Oklahoma (29)
- Logan Allen, LHP, Florida International (35)
- C.J. Van Eyk, RHP, Florida State (38)
- Masyn Winn, SS/RHP, Kingwood High School in Texas (39)
Did Barry Bonds hit a home run today?
He sure did.
June 11, 1993: Against the Chicago Cubs, Bonds hit a 2-run home run in the 3rd inning off of Dan Plesac, scoring Will Clark. It gave the Giants a 4-0 lead, and they would win 7-2. It was his 16th homer of the year.
June 11, 1994: Against the San Diego Padres, Bonds hit a solo home run in the 2nd inning off of Andy Ashby. It cut the Giants deficit to 2-1, and they would lose 3-1. It was his 14th homer of the year.
June 11, 2003: Against the Chicago White Sox, Bonds hit a 2-run home run in the 5th inning off of Mark Buehrle, scoring Ray Durham. It gave the Giants an 8-0 lead, and they would win 11-4. It was his 17th homer of the year, and his 3rd straight game with a home run.
June 11, 2007: Against the Toronto Blue Jays, Bonds hit a 2-run home run in the 4th inning off of Josh Towers, scoring Ryan Klesko. It tied the game 3-3, and the Giants would win 4-3. It was his 13th homer of the year.
- Roger Munter discusses the Patrick Bailey pick (There R Giants)
- Alex Pavlovic explains why the Giants picked another catcher (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- James Fegan profiled newest Giant Patrick Bailey before the draft (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Henry Schulman calls the Giants pick a “surprise” (SF Chronicle)
Enjoy your Thursday!