Hello and happy Tuesday.
When the coronavirus first started to shut down things in the United States, March Madness was just about to get underway. As a result, everyone was in bracket mode.
So people started passing the time by making brackets for others to fill out. San Francisco Giants All-Star shortstop Brandon Crawford quickly got in on the fun ... and two months later, he hasn’t stopped.
Crawford has already made a bracket of Giants players and hip-hop artists, and now he’s back with one that absolutely everyone should have an opinion on: candy.
Here you go. Fill it out, post it in the comments, face the scrutiny. There are no wrong answers, as long as you have Sour Patch Kids going the distance.
Did Barry Bonds hit a home run today?
Yes you fools! Of course he did! He’s Barry Freaking Bonds!
May 19, 2000: Against the Milwaukee Brewers, Bonds hit a 2-run home run in the 4th inning off of Jimmy Haynes, scoring Bill Mueller. It gave the Giants a 5-1 lead, but they would lose 11-10. It was his 16th homer of the year.
May 19, 2001: Against the Atlanta Braves, Bonds hit 3 solo home runs. A 3rd inning shot off Odalis Perez gave the Giants a 2-1 lead. A 7th inning bomb off Jose Cabrera tied the game 3-3. And an 8th inning dinger off Jason Marquis gave the Giants a 5-3 lead, and they would hold on to win 6-3. They were his 18th, 19th, and 20th homers of the year, and his 3rd straight game with a home run.
- Roger Munter with a wonderful and touching story (There R Giants)
- Podcast: Grant Brisbee and Andrew Baggarly discuss an 82-game schedule (The Athletic, free)
- Henry Schulman explores the Giants DH options (SF Chronicle)
- Maria Guardado on how Darin Ruf feels thankful to be back in the States during the quarantine (MLB)
- Alex Pavlovic looks back on the team’s top prospects after 2015 (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Craig Edwards parses MLB’s claim of a $4 billion loss (Fangraphs)
- Dalton Johnson on what Keith Law is hearing about potential Giants draft picks (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich discuss the salary negotiation between the owners and players (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Alex Pavlovic on why the universal DH would hurt the Giants (NBC Sports Bay Area)
Have a great Tuesday, friends.