With the MLB season suspended due to the coronavirus outbreak, there are no baseball games and limited baseball news. So I’m creating a hypothetical season — complete with news and recaps — until baseball resumes. All news and recaps will have the hypothetical tag, so you can at least know when you’re suspending reality. And you can click “hypothetical season” above the headline to see everything that has happened in this “season.”
It was also the Giants first series win of the season, something worth celebrating, even today.
The second time the San Francisco Giants (a bad team) faced the Atlanta Braves (a good team), the Braves swept the three-game series. That also happens, perhaps even more frequently. That’s also baseball.
That’s not worth celebrating, but I’d like to find a few reasons to celebrate anyway.
So rather than hitting you with all of the disappointing moments and stats from the Giants loss, I’d like to present you with the things worth celebrating in defeat. Hang with me.
- The Giants almost won, which shows some improvement. On Friday, they lost 3-1 in a game that didn’t feel that close. On Saturday, they lost 8-0 in a game that didn’t feel that close. On Sunday, they lost 3-2 in a game that did feel that close. Progress!
- Kevin Gausman was good. Mind you, not quite as good as Mike Foltynewicz — or perhaps better than Foltynewicz, just against better opposition. Either way, he was good, and after a rough start to the season, he’s starting to round into something that looks mighty tradable.
- Tyler Rogers, Dany Jimenez, and Jarlin Garcia continue to look tremendous out of the bullpen.
- Brandon Crawford hit a home run. Brandon Belt made two — two! — spectacular defensive plays at first base, and also drew two walks.
- Mike Yastrzemski looks very capable in center field. Perhaps not good, but capable. We’ll take capable. That’s better than what the Giants have had in center field for most of the past few years.
- Hunter Pence is still smiling. Keep smiling, Hunter.
- It’s Sunday.
- It’s a beautiful Sunday, at that.
- It’s a beautiful Sunday and Hunter Pence is smiling. Let’s all do the same, if we can.
The Giants are now 20-27. Oh well. You win some, you lose some. Or in the Giants case, you win 20, you lose 27.