Hello, happy Tuesday.
Perhaps it’s because the coronavirus has taken baseball from us, and, with no current season to distract me, I’m calling on happy memories.
Perhaps it’s because we’ve been doing a postseason rewatch series (every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday at 6 p.m. PT), reliving 2010, 2012, and 2014.
Perhaps it’s because I’ve been spending the quarantine doing a lot of reorganizing and decorating my studio apartment, so I frequently look at my orange-rimmed framed copy of the San Francisco Chronicle front page and sports page from November 2, 2010.
Apparently I’m not the only one. Over at The Athletic, Ken Rosenthal cooked up an absolutely brilliant idea: He talked with the pitcher on the mound for the final out of the last ten World Series.
Any baseball fan should read it, but especially any Giants fan, since they’re well represented. Here’s a snippet featuring Madison Bumgarner:
The ball rolled to the wall, where left fielder Juan Perez kicked it. Gordon raced to third, and a debate raged that entire offseason about whether he could have scored.
“The only thing I was nervous about was I wanted someone to pick the ball up,” Bumgarner says. “I didn’t care if he got a single, double, triple or whatever, just so long as we keep him from scoring.
“As a matter of fact, I was backing up home. And I was in (catcher) Buster (Posey)’s ear, talking about what we going to do to (Salvador) Pérez while the play was going on.”
There are also quotes from Sergio Romo and Brian Wilson, with the latter admitting that his strike three pitches to both Nelson Cruz and Josh Hamilton were bad pitches that he got lucky with.
It’s worth your time, so read it (subscription required).
Did Barry Bonds hit a home run today?
Just one, in his final year.
April 28, 2007: Against the Arizona Diamondbacks, Bonds hit a 2-run home run in the 1st inning off of Edgar Gonzalez, scoring Dave Roberts. It gave the Giants a 2-0 lead, but they would lose 5-4. It was his 8th home run of the year.
Giants news links:
- Roger Munter with the second installment of the organization’s RHP depth (There R Giants)
- Dalton Johnson on Mauricio Dubón seeking advice from Buster Posey and Barry Bonds (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Grant Brisbee with the latest OOTP simulation (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Podcast: Grant Brisbee and Andrew Baggarly on the Giants interest in Yasiel Puig (The Athletic, free)
- John Shea on Dusty Baker’s son, prospect Darren Baker (SF Chronicle)
- Alex Pavlovic mailbag, with thoughts on underrated prospects (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Steve Adams looks at the stacked upcoming crop of free agent shortstops, which includes Brandon Crawford (MLB Trade Rumors
- Jeff Passan thoroughly details everything we know about MLB’s plans for the upcoming season (ESPN)
- Alex Pavlovic ranks National League ballparks (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Jonathan Mayo’s mock draft has the Giants taking a High School outfielder (MLB)
Have a wonderful Tuesday, one and all.