Hello, glorious McCoven. How’s everyone holding up?
Well, I hope. And I hope that we can all keep using the comment section to offer support, love, and encouragement for one another in a time where people so badly need it.
At the end of last week, when MLB officially announced that the season was suspended due to the coronavirus outbreak, I asked you all what type of content you would like to see while there was a lack of baseball.
I’ll be honest: I thought I was crowdsourcing a month’s worth of ideas, not a season’s worth. But now it looks like it may be the latter.
So now, as I prepare for my first season as a full-time sports writer, I’m getting ready to whip out content for ... a potentially season-less season.
Not that I’m complaining. On the list of ways that a pandemic impacts people, “sports writer has less content to work with” is at the absolute bottom of the page.
But I’m committed to making sure that there’s still a lot of content populating the pages at McCovey Chronicles in the coming months. I’m all in, for three reasons:
- Sports are a huge escape for many people when things get tough. Even when there isn’t any sports on the television, they can serve that role.
- I genuinely love and adore and value the McCovey Chronicles community.
- Umm ... well it’s my job, so ...
This is all going to be very fluid, but for now I have a tentative content schedule. Or at least a tentative outline for what types of content I’ll be putting out.
Here’s what’s going to fill our pages:
- Historical gamethreads. We’re kicking things off tonight, at 6:45 p.m, with Game 1 of the 2010 NLDS. The plan is to do this once a week, if people are enjoying it. We can scale up or down depending on demand.
- BPs. The BPs will continue, Monday through Saturday, at 5 a.m. PT. They’ll be filled with little things and silly things and fun things: Weird prompts, YouTube highlights, social media posts from players, links, little bits of news here and there. Pretty much the same as always, except I may have to get a little more creative.
- Hypothetical season. Starting on Monday, I’m going to cover the San Francisco Giants season as though it were happening. I’ll recap the games - not quite as in-depth as when they’re really happening, but still more interesting than an AP recap - as though they’re happening. Recaps will be based on when the games were happening - at night for night games, in the afternoon for day games, etc. On off days, and occasionally on game days, I’ll pepper in with some hypothetical news, like transactions. We’ll do a fake season until we can get to a real season, if one ever comes.
- OOTP simulations. Starting the next Monday (March 30), I’ll be simulating the season in MLB Out Of The Park. These posts will be less comprehensive than the hypothetical recaps, but we’ll play out a full season, likely with a series each day. Then maybe we’ll do it all over again. I invite others to play along.
- Regular posts. And then, to fill in the gaps every other day or so, the standard content that you’re used to at McCovey Chronicles. News, on the rare occasion that there is some. Some talk about baseball, and maybe some analysis if I’m feeling bold. Speculation and projections. Some silliness. Some book reviews, per the great request of the community.
It’s going to be a lot, but that’s a good thing. It’s a good thing for my sanity, and hopefully it’s a good thing for you, as a reader and community member.
There may not be a season, but then again, when did a lack of baseball ever slow us down?