Hello and happy Wednesday.
Last week, catcher Chadwick Tromp was one of five San Francisco Giants players who was non-tendered at the deadline. It was reported that Tromp — along with fellow non-tenders Rico Garcia and Melvin Adon — had a Minor League contract verbally agreed to when the Giants non-tendered him.
And on Tuesday, Tromp seemed to confirm that, by announcing on Twitter that he was returning for a second year with the Giants.
GIANTS NATION!! Now that the details are finalized i cant wait to go get more WWWWWWWWWW! LETS GO BABY! @SFGiants— Chadwick Tromp (@trompicalstorm) December 9, 2020
Tromp, a 25-year old right-hander, signed a Minor League deal with the Giants last year, and opened eyes at Spring Training and Summer Camp. He ended up winning the backup catcher spot, playing alongside Tyler Heineman and then Joey Bart. He finished the year hitting .213/.219/.426, with 4 home runs, 1 walk, and 20 strikeouts in 64 plate appearances.
With the Giants being open about how Bart might open the year in AAA, Tromp will likely have a chance to earn the backup spot behind Buster Posey to start the 2021 season.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
The SF Giants Prospect Round-up: A To-Do List for Two Months (July 15, 2019 — Kevin J. Cunningham)
- Grant Brisbee finds a player from each American League team that the Giants could swing a trade for (The Athletic, subscription required)
- John Shea wonders if Hunter Pence will opt for coaching or broadcasting (SF Chronicle)
- Ben Clemens on Matt Wisler’s recovery season in 2020 (Fangraphs)
- Kerry Crowley on how the Giants offseason checklist is looking (Mercury News)
- Marc Delucchi lists the perfect Giants lineup for 2021 (Around the Foghorn)
- Alex Pavlovic on how Scott Harris had a wild first year on the job (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Andrew Baggarly on how the Giants — and MLB hitters — know what they’re getting from Matt Wisler (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Alex Pavlovic on how local prospect Kyle Harrison has impressed (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Jeff Young on how Tyler Anderson is drawing a lot of interest around the league (Around the Foghorn)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 113 days until Opening Day.
Have a great Wednesday!