Hello and happy Thursday.
On Wednesday, the San Francisco Giants were linked to one of 2020’s brightest stars, who happens to be a free agent: right-handed slugger Marcell Ozuna.
But there’s a pretty big caveat. The Giants are apparently only linked to Ozuna if the designated hitter stays with the National League in 2021. This serves as your reminder that the 2021 season starts in less than four months, and we don’t yet know the rules.
Sources: #SFGiants have interest in free agent Marcell Ozuna, but their comfort level on valuation and term is somewhat contingent on whether NL has the DH in 2021. Ozuna, 30, was the #Braves DH in a majority of games this year. @MLBNetwork— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) December 2, 2020
It’s a slightly funny stipulation, but a sensible one. Ozuna was one of the baseball’s best hitters last season — his 179 wRC+ was third among all qualified MLB players — but his defense has been atrocious for a few years now.
Even if the universal designated hitter is confirmed for 2021, the Giants would likely only be interested in Ozuna on a modestly-priced contract, as his 2021 certainly looks like an outlier.
But I’m all for hoarding talent, so if the price is right, make it happen, Giants.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
The Giants did nothing, which is better than most of the alternatives (July 31, 2014 — Grant Brisbee)
- Tim Kawakami on if the Giants might speed up their long-term plan at all (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Alex Pavlovic on three young Giants pitchers who stood out to Farhan Zaidi in 2020 (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Kerry Crowley on Kris Bryant rumors, and on if starting pitching is a concern (Mercury News)
- Jim Bowden lists a Winter Meetings move for each team (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Duane Kuiper talked with KNBR about Buster Posey’s future (KNBR)
- Jessica Kleinschmidt on how Michael Morse and Hunter Pence became close friends (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Dalton Johnson on why Eddie Rosario could fit on the Giants (NBC Sports Bay Area)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 119 days until Opening Day.
Have a sensational Thursday.