Hello and happy Tuesday.
There are six former San Francisco Giants on the current Hall of Fame ballot: Barry Bonds, LaTroy Hawkins, Tim Hudson, Jeff Kent, Omar Vizquel, and Barry Zito. Bonds seems to be the only one with a shot at making the cut, but if history serves as any indicator he’ll again be passed over on account of setting every record in the book while using the same substances that seemingly every player he competed against was also using.
Anyway, baseball writer and analyst Ryan M. Spaeder has been doing a magnificent project, wherein he gets MLB players — both anonymous and named — to cast their “ballots” for the Hall of Fame, to show who the players actually think should get in.
His most recent participant is none other than Kevin Frandsen. You likely remember Frandsen: he was drafted by the Giants in 2004, spent the first four years of his MLB career with the team, and returned in 2015 for his final MLB stint.
Here was Frandsen’s ballot:
- Bobby Abreu
- Barry Bonds
- Roger Clemens
- Todd Helton
- Andruw Jones
- Jeff Kent
- Scott Rolen
- Curt Schilling
- Omar Vizquel
- Billy Wagner
He also noted that Torii Hunter would be included were ballots not limited to 10 names.
Frandsen might be slightly biased, since he was Bonds’ teammate for two years (and Vizquel’s for three). Or he might just have common sense. He also shared a tremendous story about Bonds helping him at the plate, so it’s worth a read.
In all, Spaeder has collected ballots from 49 players, and 41 of them selected Bonds.
That said, there are some downright weird ballots. Matt Holliday and Carlton Fisk both omitted Bonds ... but included Curt Schilling. Schilling himself omitted Bonds (and himself, per the rules), which ... well ... OK.
One current member of the Hall of Fame says he wouldn’t vote for anyone who’s eligible, and one former reliever chose Vizquel as his lone selection (this probably shouldn’t be a surprise, but, based on this project, there is a sizable gulf between how players and media members view Vizquel).
But my favorite bit came from former catcher John Baker, who added this tidbit:
On Bonds, Clemens, and Sosa: did these guys take steroids? Probably. Yes. Definitely? Do I care? No, I do not, I have thought about it a lot. I DON’T GIVE A SHIT!
Old, random MCC article for you to read
What would you do with a World Series ring? (April 26, 2013 — Grant Brisbee)
- Grant Brisbee tries to predict which arbitration-eligible Giants will be non-tendered (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Kerry Crowley also tries to predict the arbitration decisions (Mercury News)
- Joe Posnanski is counting down the 100 best players who aren’t in the Hall of Fame, starting with 91-100 (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Maria Guardado looks at the five Giants with the best offensive seasons in franchise history (MLB)
- Mark W. Sanchez on Tim Flannery getting to go home for the holidays (KNBR)
- Alex Pavlovic on how Farhan Zaidi sees Jason Vosler potentially having a big role in 2021 (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Marc Delucchi on why Jon Heyman thinks the Giants could target Kris Bryant (Around the Foghorn)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 121 days until Opening Day.
Have yourself a swell Tuesday.