Hello and happy Thursday.
Long was drafted in the 18th round in 2016, and played A-ball in 2019 for the Chicago White Sox, which was his highest level thus far. He had a 3.06 ERA and 3.04 FIP, with 10.4 strikeouts and 2.6 walks per nine innings.
Krizan was drafted in the eighth round in 2011 by the Detroit Tigers. He’s never made the Majors, but has spent four years in AAA, including in 2019 with the New York Mets, when he hit .365/.467/.603 in 76 plate appearances. In recent years he’s shown a tremendous strikeout to walk ratio.
Giants signed LHP Sam Long (25.4Y, 6'1" 185) to a minor league contract. He was a 2016 18R pick by TBR out of CSU-Sacramento. Released and then signed by CWS in 2019.— GPT (@giantsprospects) November 18, 2020
A: 97IP 73H 28BB 112K 3.06 ERA. 91-93 FB, good CH, and has a CB. pic.twitter.com/m5aF8dsMXa
Giants signed OF/LHH Jason Krizan (31.4Y, 6'0" 185) to a MiLB contract. 2011 8R pick by DET out of DBU. 2019 with NYM:— GPT (@giantsprospects) November 18, 2020
AA: 367PA .257/.335/.443, 10K%, 10BB% 129wRC+
AAA: 76PA .365/.467/.603, 12K%, 16BB%, 176wRC+. COF. On Gigantes del Cibao roster in LIDOM. pic.twitter.com/xSaVVaPYcW
We’ll likely see this a lot over the next few weeks, because the Giants probably don’t have enough depth pieces yet to start a AAA season.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Check out MLB Cut4’s tour of Topps baseball cards from every era (Aug. 16, 2018 — Bryan Murphy)
- Roger Munter continues his ranking of the best prospects in the Giants farm, with 6-10 (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee looks at some high-end pitchers for the Giants to consider, including Jake Odorizzi (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Kerry Crowley on how Alyssa Nakken became the first woman to coach in MLB (Mercury News)
- John Shea on hitters expressing interest in playing for the Giants (SF Chronicle)
- Mark W. Sanchez on how the Giants aren’t sure of Brandon Belt’s timetable (KNBR)
- Alex Pavlovic lists five free agents to replace Drew Smyly (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Kerry Crowley on the Giants evolved 2020 recruiting pitch to free agents (Mercury News)
- Andrew Baggarly on why the Giants can attract free agent pitchers and hitters (The Athletic, subscription required)
- John Shea on Johnny Cueto’s plans to pitch in winter ball (SF Chronicle)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 133 days until Opening Day.
Have a stellar Thursday.