Hello and happy Friday.
Ethan Katz is being hired to be the White Sox pitching coach. Katz was the coach at Harvard Westlake, where Giolito, Fried and Flaherty went @barstoolWSD on it— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) November 12, 2020
Why someone would want to go coach with Tony La Russa is beyond me, but as MLB Network’s Jon Heyman notes in the embedded tweet, Katz was the coach at Harvard-Westlake High School in North Hollywood, where he coached Lucas Giolito, the White Sox young ace. Perhaps that connection pulled him to Chicago, or perhaps he was simply given a better coaching offer.
Either way, it’s apparent that the Giants coaching staff opened eyes this year, and I would expect this type of thing to become fairly common.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Gabe Kapler announces most of his major league coaching staff (Dec. 11, 2019 — Bryan Murphy)
- Henry Schulman reports on how the Giants top prospects did at Instructionals (SF Chronicle)
- Kerry Crowley looks at four types of pitchers the Giants might pursue in free agency (Mercury News)
- Alex Pavlovic on how Mike Yastrzemski’s MVP finish was the Giants best in six years (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Jayson Stark revisits his numbers that defined the season (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Alex Pavlovic on why Farhan Zaidi was happy to get Kevin Gausman back (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Jessica Kleinschmidt on how Farhan Zaidi felt after watching the Dodgers win the World Series (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Tim Kawakami answers mailbag questions, which includes evaluating Farhan Zaidi (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Craig Edwards on how Marcus Semien could be the bargain of free agency (Fangraphs)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 139 days until Opening Day.
Have a great Friday, all of you.