Hello and happy Thursday.
Because the MLB season officially ended on Tuesday, the offseason officially began on Wednesday. Which means four San Francisco Giants became free agents: right-handed starter Kevin Gausman, left-handed starter Drew Smyly, right-handed starter/reliever Trevor Cahill, and left-handed reliever Tony Watson.
The Giants likely have some level of interest in all four. So which of them do you predict are wearing a Giants jersey next season?
I’ll say Gausman and Smyly, but not Cahill and Watson.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Are MLB managers still skippers of the ship? (Nov. 19, 2019 — Bridget Mulcahy)
- Roger Munter watches a Sean Hjelle start (There R Giants)
- Grant Brisbee on what Giants fans should and shouldn’t do with the Dodgers winning the World Series (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Kerry Crowley on the development happening at the Instructional Leagues (Mercury News)
- Alex Pavlovic lists seven dream free agents to target (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Maria Guardado with a Giants offseason FAQ (MLB)
- John Shea on how the Dodgers win ends a constant for Giants fans that lasted more than three decades (SF Chronicle)
- Kerry Crowley’s 10 post-World Series thoughts about the Giants rivalry with the Dodgers (Mercury News)
- Dalton Johnson on why Justin Turner’s coronavirus situation is a indictment of the MLB season (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Alex Pavlovic ranks the 10 best available free agents (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Andrew Baggarly answers mailbag questions, including how aggressive the team will be in the offseason (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Kerry Crowley on the upcoming 40-man roster moves for the Giants (Mercury News)
- Alex Pavlovic on the Giants - Dodgers rivalry moving into the next phase now that the Dodgers have won the title (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Jake Montero on why Duane Kuiper thinks baseball took a step backwards following Justin Turner and Kevin Cash’s decisions on Tuesday (KNBR)
- Alex Pavlovic on why Kevin Gausman and Drew Smyly are not enough with regards to improving the rotation (NBC Sports Bay Area)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 154 days until Opening Day.
I hope your Thursday is fantastic.