McCovey Chronicles wants a prolific creative talent to lead the discussion and direct the culture of SB Nation’s most popular baseball team site. Must be fluent in baseball nonsense with an ability to bring that nonsense to life through articles of varying lengths, professional quality Photoshop’d images to convey funny or simply bizarre ideas to boost their opinions or stand on their own as the opinion.
A strong sense of humor with a deep awareness of internet and pop culture is an absolute must (you appreciate Rick and Morty, but you love retweeting jokes at the expense of the show’s fans; old sitcoms are not boring, they’re great; you’re as impressed with the size of the lad, who’s an absolute unit, as you are with a League of Legends Twitch stream; you have an opinion on which Stephen A. Smith tweet is best). Love for all things Buster Posey preferred.
- Monitoring Twitter, MLB Network, and other team-specific news sources for breaking news in order to get articles and news items up onto the site quickly. (daytime; 4 days a week) -- This means candidate will usually be the First and more likely the Final word on a lot of events both frivolous and pivotal to Giants history.
- Writing a series preview for every series and recapping at least 13 games a month (April-September).
- Ability to participate in online story pitch sessions on the McCovey Chronicles Slack channel (once a week) and bring at least 2 ideas to every session.
- Fostering community on the site
- Being able to craft a joke between explanations and examinations of sabermetric concepts and results.
- Availability: Every day of the regular baseball season and postseason (should Giants make it into the playoffs); schedule TBD if the Giants do not make the postseason, but will still require a commitment or interest in maintaining a high-level of output.
Preferred knowledge and experience:
- 20+ items of verifiable web writing of either original comedic content or sportswriting.
- Media or ad agency creative work to generate site-specific and non-infringing art.
- An extrovert not afraid of the spotlight.
- Advanced baseball analytics expertise.
- A Twitter presence.
This is a contractor position that pays a monthly stipend.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
To apply, send your resume, a cover letter, and a writing sample to email@example.com.